Sunday, March 31, 2013

Basketball: NCCA


I think this year is the first time I’m 0 for 4 on the final four.  I only had 2 teams out of the final 8 this weekend.   I had selected Ohio State and Florida to make the elite 8 but I had both of them losing to teams that didn’t make it out of the round of 16.   I thought Miami would win it all but found myself routing for Illinois and given the missed official call on an out of bounds play with about a minute left, I wasn’t disappointed when Miami lost their next game.   I was surprised by how many friends had picked Miami to win it all.   But I can’t believe only 2 out of 8 and a zero for the final round.  

Syracuse defense has been superb.  They usually are a good defensive club but these last two games have been excellent.   I didn’t have either Syracuse or Marquette going past the round of 16.  In other words, it is a good thing I wasn’t betting money on my picks as I would have lost what I would have won in prior years. 

I watched Louisville demolish Duke.   I’m really disappointed that Louisville is living up to its no. 1 ranking.  I never route for a Rick P---- team.  Does anyone know if Rick finally acknowledges his stay in Hawaii on his resume?   It would be wonderful if Wichita State were to beat them on Saturday but that is not a likely occasion.   
With the very different defensive styles played by Syracuse and Louisville, an April 8 championship game between the two of them could be fascinating assuming Syracuse gets past Michigan.  

There is something pleasurable about a number 1 team losing even when it is only to a no. 2 team.   Only having one number one team surviving is a good thing.  The 16 team division ranking system is part of the pleasure of the NCCA tournament.  As usual, I’ve enjoyed watching some great basketball and looking forward to see if another NC State Miracle can happen as to the Louisville game while expecting the Michigan/Syracuse game to be close.  

No comments:

Post a Comment