Saturday, July 6, 2013

NBA: College Coaches in the NBA + Dwight Howard comments


I hope Brad Stevens is successful with the Celtics but I really think it was an odd choice.   I’m trying to think of a successful college basketball coach other than Larry Brown who also had success as a head coach in the NBA.   I can think of a number of unsuccessful coaches in the NBA who have had a stellar college career.  The list would include the disastrous one year term of Tim Floyd with the Chicago Bulls.  Jerry Tarkanian is one of my favorite college coaches but he didn’t even last a year in the NBA.   Everyone knows about Rick Pitino and John Calipari but they are just the most famous of a long list.   Mike Montgomery was quite successful at Stanford but not with the Warriors.   I know Gregg Popovich, clearly the best current NBA coach, coached at Pomona-Pitzer but does that count?  Probably more important to his NBA success is the year he spent with Larry Brown at Kansas.   PJ Carlesimo had success at Seton Hall and has had a mixed career in the NBA: definitely second tier as to professional jobs.  As I’m typing this two names have come to mind in addition to Larry Brown:  Chuck Daly and Bill Fitch.   Bottom line is that I think it is a very short list as to individuals who successfully made the transition from college to the NBA.   Can you think of anyone else?  I admire what Stevens did at Butler and hope he proves to be the exception.  
 
Current headline story is Dwight Howard leaving the Lakers and joining the Houston Rockets.   I think both the Lakers and the Warriors, especially the Warriors, will be pleased he elected to move to Houston.   Andre Iguodala will fit with the type of ball Warriors are playing much better than Howard.   Howard is talented but he definitely has a Shaq mentality, unlike James who is very much the team player.  I know Howard was hurt part of this past year and unlike Rose, he chose to play when he may not have fully healed.  But there are certain guys who just seem to have issues.   The Lakers may have felt obligated to make the pitch but I think a Howard/Bryant combination will never have worked, partly because Howard is not as good a player as Shaq was in his prime.   I’m more of a college hoops fan but next year there are some interesting NBA teams that should make for an interesting season and the Rockets are not one on my list.  I’m wondering if the Spurs with Duncan have one more run in them and I think both the Warriors and the Clippers will be fun to watch.  The Western Conference has some real excitement for the coming year along with clashes between the Bulls and Indiana.        

No comments:

Post a Comment