Saturday, January 18, 2014

Oscar Nomination Comments

Oscar comments:  I was surprised Robert Redford did not receive a best actor nomination for his solo performance in All is Lost.   If you haven’t seen his performance, your loss.   I saw there was a lot of commentary as to Tom Hanks not receiving a nomination.   Personal opinion is that the vote for him got split with his 2 excellent performances, first as Captain Phillips and then as Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks.   I was personally more surprised that Emma Thompson wasn’t nominated for Best Actress.   As to this category, I continue to think Cate Blanchett should win it for her performance in Blue Jasmine.  I mentioned Jonze nomination for best original screenplay.  This is one of the tougher selections and my prediction is that  it will be won by the writers of American Hustle.   If I had a vote, it would probably be for the Dallas Buyers Club writers.  I know I would vote for Matthew McConaughey’s performance in this film although Christian Bale is also deserving.   I would also vote for Jared Leto for his supporting role in the Buyers Club film.   2013 started out as a weak movie year but the 4th quarter had a number of remarkable movies and performances.   Still debating as to my vote for best picture and best director.  I usually don’t split this vote but this year may be an exception.   I know Gravity was not the best picture but inclined towards Alfonso Cuaron despite the significant achievements of David Russell for American Hustle and Steve McQueen for 12 years a Slave.  As to screenplay from another source, easy choice as to the 12 years a Slave screenplay.  Hope 2014 brings similar movie enjoyment but for the entire year.     

No comments:

Post a Comment