Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Oscar Commentary


With one exception, there were no real surprises at the Oscars this past Sunday evening.  The exception was awarding the Oscar for editing to Whiplash.  Personally, I wouldn’t have given Whiplash even third place for editing.  J. K. Simmons deserved his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Whiplash as the music teacher, a truly dislikeable human being.  Moore, as noted above, was deservedly an overwhelming favorite to win the Best Actress award.  For Best Actor, I was fine with any of the nominated actors winning.  If you have been reading these reviews, you know I was also fine with the awards given to Birdman as well as the four Oscars to The Grand Budapest Hotel.  As for Best Foreign Film, I only note that the winner, Ida, was shown briefly in Hawaii at the Kahala Theatres, which is also showing a preview for one of the other nominated foreign films.  I enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris.  I truly enjoyed the presentation of the song Glory.  But what’s up with John Travolta?   Lady Gaga singing the Julie Andrews songs worked for me.  I even enjoyed the Cadillac commercials.  The ceremony could have been shorter, for example, the opening Harris number could have been omitted.  But, overall, I enjoyed my Sunday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment